Founding Engineer, Backend
Ny, NY US
We are now building an ecosystem of tools that use our core transaction understanding and risk-assessment technology toward our mission of making web3 more secure and usable. We’re also focusing on allowing developers to embed Stelo inside dapps, wallets, and other places in the transaction creation flow.
Web3 has the potential to transform how people spend money, store their data, and interact with applications. But web3 is held back by many of the basic problems that plagued the early internet — phishing, fraud, a lack of standardization and poor user experience.
Stelo is addressing these problems by building the canonical user-interface layer of web3. We believe that the majority of paradigms and abstractions through which users will interact with crypto and blockchains have yet to be invented and we intend to be the ones to invent them.
As a founding backend engineer, you’ll be responsible for building and maintaining Stelo’s core transaction understanding, simulation, risk assessment and blockchain indexing systems. Our backend sits at the heart of Stelo’s products and processes every transaction that Stelo users initiate.
You’ll be expected to, among other things:
- Design and build REST/GraphQL APIs for both internal and external use
- Write high-quality, well-tested, readable, and scalable code.
- Create, deploy, scale and maintain production services in AWS using ECR and Fargate.
- Set up instrumentation and monitoring and ensure system uptime and reliability.
- Develop algorithms that learn malicious patterns from data and apply them in real time.
You’re a good fit if
- You have a passion for building consumer-facing products and you like to sweat the details to build incredible experiences.
- You have a growth mindset and are eager to learn and take on new challenges, including learning new frameworks, languages, or libraries.
- You’re a strong team player and have excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- You have 5+ years of experience backend development experience, including experience architecting highly-scalable systems used by millions of people.
- You have experience deploying and maintaining services on AWS or other cloud providers.
- You have experience designing external developer-facing REST or GraphQL APIs.
- You have experimented with writing Ethereum smart contracts or are interested in learning. You’re passionate about making open-source contributions to the Ethereum ecosystem.
- Potential for impact in a rapidly evolving field and technology. You will make a significant contribution to the development and success of the company and our products. You will work at the bleeding edge of crypto and web3 and help define standards that move the industry forward towards mainstream adoption.
- Our culture and values. You’ll enjoy working with us if these values resonate with you.
- Problems over solutions. Get obsessed with problems, not with solutions.
- Truth-seeking. Seek the truth and try to be less wrong. We do this by encouraging differing opinions and always trying to consider the opposite of our beliefs.
- Start small Dream big but start small - all great things have humble beginnings.
- Action over debate. Have a bias for action - discussion only gets us so far. When in doubt, act.
- Ownership. Nothing is someone else’s problem. We roll up our sleeves and dig in even when something is outside our purview - whether it’s coding, design, marketing, or hiring.
- Progress over perfection Chase progress, not perfection. Done is better than perfect.
- Simplicity. Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler.
- Potential for learning and development. We are an intellectually rigorous team and hold ourselves to a high bar for technical and product excellence. You’ll be able to take on new challenges and responsibilities as the company grows. We are pragmatic and pick the right tool for the job - this means you’ll get to learn and work with a wide range of technologies.
- Highly collaborative, fast-paced environment. We work highly collaboratively, make decisions fast and ship code on a weekly basis. We recognize that we don’t have all the answers and we’re not afraid to experiment and iterate. This means our goals and priorities are constantly evolving and we expect everyone to thrive in this environment.
- Competitive compensation and benefits. We pay above the industry average for companies of our size and stage. We do this by hiring fewer people and asking everyone to punch above their weight. We take healthcare, benefits and PTO seriously - we believe you do the best work of your life when you’re energized and engaged and believe it’s important to take time off to recharge.